How to let God bless your ministry.
So, you want to serve God, and start preaching? Wonderful! Start by obeying Him in all ways that you can think of, and apply His commands in your life and ministry. Here are just a few guidelines that I have discovered, some the hard way, after many years in service and ministry.
1. You don't need any money to start! Take no money with you. Do not give money to those to whom you preach. You are to give the Word of God. In the Kingdom of God, the money flows the other way. The people who you preach to are to give money to you. If others are helped by your ministry, then you can ask money from them. So, you have to reach out with the Love of God, and serve other people first with the Word of God. Ministry is service! Many people around the world ask me for money for them to start their ministry. But that's not the way it's supposed to work, you don't need money to start!
Luke 9:3 And He said to them, "Take nothing for your journey, neither a staff, nor a bag, nor bread, nor money; and do not even have two tunics apiece.
4"Whatever house you enter, stay there until you leave that city.
Later, Jesus tells them that they should take money with them. Why the change? I think it's because by then, the disciples learned that they didn't need it to have an effective ministry.
Luke 22:35 And He said to them, "When I sent you out without money belt and bag and sandals, you did not lack anything, did you?" They said, "No, nothing."
36 And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
Next, we see that ministers have a right to ask for money from the people they preach to, so the flow of money is not from ministers to the people, but from people to ministers. Why? Because this is an honest exchange. A minister serves. Do people serve for free? Rarely. Most service is done at a cost.
1Co 9:7 Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock?
1Co 9:8 Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also?
1Co 9:9 For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen?
1Co 9:10 Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope.
1Co 9:11 If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things?
1Co 9:12 If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ.
1Co 9:13 Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar?
1Co 9:14 Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.
1Timothy 5:17 Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.
1Timothy 5:18 For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.
Some ministers in developing nations have discovered that it is best to provide people with a service first, such as providing water with a newly dug well. Then, they can give away free water, and preach at the well. Likewise, I provide a free investment newsletter. Later, I may introduce people to my Bible studies, or ask them for money to subscribe to "look at my portfolio" of investments.
2. As Jesus gave His life for you, while you were still a sinner, likewise, you should start giving first, but not by giving money.
Luke 6:38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.
Mark 10:29 And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's,
Mark 10:30 But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life.
3. Give secretly. And God will bless you openly.
Matthew 6:1 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
Matthew 6:2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
Matthew 6:3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
Matthew 6:4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.
4. Preach to those who will listen. Do not preach to those who will not listen. It is not up to you to save the world. I know you are enthusiastic, and you may want to try to "save the world", but remember, Jesus already did that when he died and was resurrected. All we need to do is obey Jesus. Jesus did not tell us to convert everyone, but to preach. Many will not listen. Do not waste your efforts, nor risk personal injury, by preaching to those who do not want to listen. And if they will be violent, run away! Let God soften or harden the people's hearts accordingly. That's His job. Not even your fellow Christians will be able to listen to everything you may wish to preach to them and teach them.
Mark 6:11 And if any place will not welcome you or listen to you, shake the dust off your feet when you leave, as a testimony against them."
Matthew 7:6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
Matthew 10:23 But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come.
1 Corinthians 3:2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
5. Remember that there are all forms of different ministries, and all kinds of different preaching. Only you know your special gifts and ways you can serve others. Be free to serve in creative ways, and don't despise another man's ministry. Also, don't covet another man's ministry; instead, build on another man's ministry, and maybe do things a bit different, in ways the first man did not do. Even false prophets have their place; to show the difference between a good and bad ministry.
1 Corinthians 12:4 Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit.
5 And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord.
Jude 22 And have mercy on some, who are doubting;
23 save others, snatching them out of the fire; and on some have mercy with fear, hating even the garment polluted by the flesh.
1 Corinthians 3:10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
1 Corinthians 11:19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.
6. Be faithful in all the little things; especially with regard to money--which is a little thing.
Luke 16: 11 If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?
12 And if ye have not been faithful in that which is another man's, who shall give you that which is your own?
7. Seek first the Kingdom! Understand the kingdom. Preach the kingdom. Live the Kingdom. I believe Jesus will return at the pretribulation rapture, to be followed by 7 years of tribulation, and then the remainder of the 1000 year reign of Jesus on earth. During the time of this "new earth", people will learn far more about God and his rules for mankind. There will be no more war. Trade will flourish. People will not be robbed; they will be able to reap the fruits of their own labors. Therefore, although I know we are not yet in that world, I try to put those principles into practice now, and teach those principles now.
Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
8. Let Jesus lead you! I cannot lead you, nor tell you exactly how to minister. If I did, I'd be taking the place of Jesus, and be antichrist. That is also contrary to all free market principles. Jesus came to send a sword, a division, and he created all the different denominations for a reason. To let Jesus lead, listen to that "still, small voice". Usually, that's the voice that reminds you of scripture, or scriptural principles, or tells you about scriptural principles that you may not have read, or many not yet understand. If you cannot listen to the printed word of scripture first, and obey that, then how will you know how to listen to the "still, small voice"?
John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
1 Kings 19:12 And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.
I did not start this article knowing all the scripture here. I've read
it all before. But when I started writing this article, I thought I was
going to write about maybe 2 or 3 things. The Lord brought all the other
things to my mind after I started writing.
May God bless your ministry!